Thursday, March 25, 2010

what do kids need?

Having now taught my own class for a grand total of 8 weeks (being a teacher for 4 years before that in non-class teacher roles), chatting to parents and discussions with colleagues, it has dawned on me that I may have a bit of knowledge when it comes to raising kids and what they need, that I always assumed was obvious to everyone. I have done no research to back my observations but I'm fairly confident my experience as a teacher counts toward some credibility as an authority on the subject. I thought I would post them onto my blog as they come up in everyday life.

The latest discussion in the staffroom was around our kids not having a good general knowledge. During an excursion to the city, the kids passed a statue of Queen Victoria. One student remarked that we are not in Victoria, we are in NSW and how stupid it was. His teacher tried to explain that it was a statue of Queen Victoria and the kids retorted back that she was wrong - it's Queen Elizabeth.

Kids need to have experiences, outings and discussions with adults to get to know their world. They don't have to be major, grandiose outings; everyday life experiences are valuable too. Do you know how hard it is to explain the concept of recycling to 5 year old kids who have never engaged in a conversation with their parents about it at home? Plan trips with your kids, include them in the planning process and TALK with them about what you are doing, where you are going.

Off the top of my head here are some things you can include your kids in to broaden their experience of the world (depending on their age):
  • Shopping - preparing menu for the week, quantities needed, making a shopping list, going to the shops, give them some items to collect, let them hand over money/swipe card at the register, talk about healthy food (sometimes/everyday foods), cold/fresh/hot foods...
  • Recycling - why do we have separate rubbish bins, looking after our environment, what happens to the paper/glass/plastic when it gets to the recycling centre
  • Planning a holiday - budget, itinerary, maps, travel method, pros and cons of going by car or by plane,
  • Cooking
  • Invite a family member/friend over for morning tea. Plan the event, make an invitation, help your child to prepare a performance for your guest, make tickets for the show, show them how to serve and be hospitable to a guest.
  • Housework - I know it may seem more hassle than it's worth but think of the valuable lesson they are learning in looking after their belongings and taking responsibility.
  • Day outings - to the zoo, aquarium, beach, rainforest, Blue Mountains, park, river, library, the city, Circular Quay, on the ferry, monorail, Powerhouse museum, art gallery, ...






If I was allowed to and had the money to I would do all of these things with my kids in my class. I long for them to see and experience everything (not to say all of them aren't).

The list could go on and on but the main point I want to stress is TALK to your kids about everything (even if it seems mundane to you) and DO things with them. Kids are so curious about the world around them, have so many questions and want to learn but need someone to show them this amazing world and explain it to them.

1 comment:

Therese said...

See hon, these are the things your friends see in you - your insightfulness!!
Blogging from home??
Hope you're going okay xx