Monday, April 26, 2010

Perfectionism

Sometimes I find myself so afraid of doing things wrong or being unsure of how to do something, that it is really hard to get started.

This afternoon it was programming for school. A massive and overwhelming task, especially when I have not done it before for a class. It was too much, so I kept finding other things to do apart from that. I was on the verge of panicking at the enormity of it all.

This happens to me a lot, in different situations and it's not helpful. Something needs to change.

So I had a nap, prayed, took a deep breath and made a plan of attack.

Baby steps.

One thing at a time.

In the end I figured I should just start on one thing - guided reading worksheets for the week.

I typed in the title of the book and then stared at the screen for 5 minutes. Where the heck do I start? I envy experienced teachers who can do these now without thinking. I want them to be engaging, at their level so they can achieve independently but being challenging enough to push them a bit further, to excel them, to encourage them....

Just start with something!

And then it sort of flowed. Not sure if it's groundbreaking stuff but it's a start for me.

I realise this thought process comes quite naturally or sub-consciously for many people but for me I have to talk myself through it.

Perfectionism is crippling at times.

Anyone else like that?

No comments: