Monday, September 28, 2009

jesus gives me life

Today is my 3rd anniversary of having neurosurgery. I like acknowledging and remembering this anniversary as I tend to forget what it was like the 8 years previously when I had the tumour, mostly how physically weak I was. And if I forget the amazing transformation in my physical wellbeing, I also forget to be thankful to God for all he has done for me.

I have been reading Tim Chester's book 'You Can Change' and something that struck me when reflecting on my journey is that God uses everything that happens to us to make us like Jesus, both the good and bad. There are times when I feel sad at the life I feel I missed out in those 8 years; there was so much I didn't do, so many things I didn't go to, many friendships left on the outer and these days I catch myself saying yes to all social activities and adventures partly so I can feel like I can say I have a 'life'.

But if God's plan from the very beginning was to make me more like Jesus and everything that happens to me is part of that plan, how can I be sad or regret on what I've missed? I can't pinpoint how God has used the tumour to make me more like Jesus but I trust that He has and I'm thankful for that. And as Chester says, "...Jesus is the good life and the fountain of all joy." (p18)

Having a life doesn't equate to experiences or adventures or things that I have done but true life is found through Jesus.
"But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions—it is by grace you have been saved. And God raised us up with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms in Christ Jesus..."
Ephesians 2:4-6

No comments: