Sunday, April 4, 2010

long term plans

A conversation today reminded me of a dream, for lack of a better word, that has been floating around in my mind on and off for the last few years. I've entertained the idea of teaching in Africa. Can't say why Africa. Can't say why I've had that idea. I've never thought seriously about it, made plans, or acted on it. I guess knowing I'm the sort of person to need a 'security blanket' of knowing I will know at least one other person when going to a party or the fact I've never been overseas before or not feeling confident in my teaching skills as yet.

I've never really taken time to really think and pray about what plans I should be making - being purposeful in what I'm doing with my life and how I am serving Jesus. I am abundantly blessed and God has graciously given me many gifts. And I've been challenged anew today about using those blessings to build his kingdom to bring Him glory.

Knowing full well that the best laid plans can be altered by God according to His will, should not mean that no plans should be made at all. So I'm going to spend some time this week to pray about this and hope for some more definitive answers in what direction to take. It might be Africa, it could be staying at Yagoona, or God could reveal to me a new ministry option. I pray I will be listening and He will give me the courage to follow through on whatever path he sets me on.

1 comment:

Nomes said...

Hey lovely, there is a Christian family in Ethopia who are working in one of the fistula hospitals set up by Catherine Hamlin (Hospital by the River). They are often looking for a primary teacher to come over and run a small school (ten kids or something like that) for for the ex-pat families working in the hospital. If you want I can get their email address and you can see what it's all about. Also talk to Jane, because she knows heaps more about it than I do.