I have been reading book two in the Little Women series, Good Wives and came across this part last night which I related to:
"I think I haven't done much harm yet, and may keep this pay for my time," she said, after a long meditation, adding impatiently, "I almost wish I hadn't any conscience, it's so inconvenient. If I didn't care about doing right, and didn't feel uncomfortable when doing wrong, I should get on capitally. I can't help wishing sometimes that Father and Mother hadn't been so particular about such things."
Ah, Jo, instead of wishing that, thank God that "Father and Mother were particular" and pity from your heart those who have no such guardians to hedge them round with principles which may seem like prison walls to impatient youth, but which will prove sure foundations to build character upon in womanhood.
It makes me think of the times when I get frustrated with the standards that God holds me to and am tempted to just say, "I'm quite a good person, isn't that enough?" But it's not good enough for God, his standards are high, and calls us to be holy because he is holy. As Christians, we are to grow and become more like Jesus. Being good, or 'better' than the majority of society is not enough. We are all sinners and all have sin that holds us back from living our life according to God's will - pride, envy, slander, gossip, laziness, and on and on and on.
I just have to say that thanks to God and Jesus' sacrifice that we are able to come before God, righteous and holy, and also I thank him that he holds such extreme high standards that I will never attain on this earth - but just think - if I could achieve them, I would think too much of myself and become complacent. I think God knows fully well what sinful people we are, apt to be proud and self-seeking. I'm so glad that He is around to "hedge me round with principles which seem like prison walls to an impatient, young Christian, but which will prove sure foundations to build character upon in godly womanhood."
No comments:
Post a Comment