Wednesday, October 14, 2009

the lord, my comforter

I just did this study last week, from the topical study 'Woman of God' from Mathias Media, with a friend from the 'am' service and have, as always, found God's timing in what I'm learning perfect. One part of the study looked at some verses from Hebrews, I particularly liked these:

"14Therefore, since we have a great high priest who has gone through the heavens,[a] Jesus the Son of God, let us hold firmly to the faith we profess. 15For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin. 16Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need." Hebrews 4:14-16

About 3 weeks ago my neurologist recommended that I try weaning myself off my medication for my headaches to see how I go but in the last week I've been getting headaches again; one on Monday night was especially painful. Headaches, for me, mean time off work, no going to the gym, no socialising and no bible study - not my idea of a great time really. It's easy to get down about the state of my health but it's good to be reminded that I can approach God with confidence so that I may receive mercy and grace to help me in my time of need.
"4Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! 5Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. 6Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus." Philipians 4:4-7

Sometimes I think surely Jesus didn't go through every temptation and suffering that I have or will? But the Bible says He has, so I need to believe it. He understands my pain, and he understands my anxiety but what I must do is go to Him with it. Just as Jesus did when He was tempted or suffering, He went straight to God to seek peace, comfort and strength. Which is one of the reasons I loved this post from Unfurling Flower.

It's good to be reminded that even thought God knows our every need, that He likes us to seek Him and ask for Him to give us strength and healing. We also need to do this so we humble ourselves before God and acknowledge that it is Him who sustains us.

No comments: