Cathy tagged me for this meme. I need to list six things I have learnt this year. I can think of some silly things I have learnt this year:
1. If you try to bowl in a style like the professionals when you are a klutz you are more than likely going to end up on your butt.
2. A sandwich forgotten in your bag all day will go very, very soggy. And plastic bags are very useful things.
3. I can get fun, young and funky clothes - I’m not limited to 3 shops who mostly specialise in older woman, frumpy clothing.
4. High School Musical is fun.
5. Kids will ask you if you’re pregnant regardless of your size. They asked my friend at work if she was and she is a Size 6!
6. I really, really, really, really, really want a fancy, schmancy, snazzy, super duper, whizz bang SLR digital camera. And the waiting until I save enough money is killing me.
7. I am artistic but in a different way to what I expected (who would have thought!)
I didn’t think I could come up with 6 things but the more I thought about the more I have realised what I have learnt (or re-learnt) over the past year. My list is longer than six but I had trouble stopping!
1. Don’t assume that because something is fine and reasonable with you, means that it will be fine and reasonable to someone else.
2. Planning and organisation makes for a much smoother day and helps to balance all the things I want to fit into my day. If I don’t plan or get organised (which is most days) things get forgotten, left out or done at a late hour. The one thing that often gets left out is my quiet time.
3. Just because you are your own worst critic does not mean that others think the same of you. I have always struggled thinking that people won’t want to be my friend because I am fat (irrational and stupid I know but it’s true) but have been proven wrong as I have made a number of new friends (and become better friends with others) this year at work, the gym, at Church and at Reading Recovery training. I still don’t believe that I will ever get married because I am fat but it has been nice to realise that my friends can see my inner beauty and qualities (and all my faults) and still want to spend time with me and love me.
4. Regular time with God is so valuable and helps me to try to be more focused and centred on Him and His will, rather than relying on my own strength, sticking to my own agenda and seeking other people’s approval.
5. We all show our stress and anger in different ways, it’s not always personal and I need to remember that my being quiet and withdrawn when tired, emotional and stressed can be just as off-putting or offensive to someone as a person’s small bursts of anger are to me.
6. Real love is sacrificial love. It’s all well and good to do things for people when I am in the mood, have the time and energy to but it’s a test to really love my friends, colleagues and family when I’m tired, busy, want my own space.
7. Just because I don’t express my thoughts out loud does not mean it’s any less of a sin.
8. We are all sinners, of which I am the worst. And God’s grace is very real and very precious and freely given; which I don’t deserve but God’s love is sacrificial and beautiful and a model to me of how I should love.
I could go on and on....Thank you Cathy for tagging me to do this meme – it has really helped me to reflect a bit on the year.
Wednesday, October 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment